Saturday, September 18, 2010

What's For Breakfast?

Good Saturday morning!!!!- I was so inspired by what I ate about an hour ago- I decided to write a breakfast/brunch blog!- So here are some brands of things I eat and a couple of simple recipies- to be honest I eat the ommelettes any time- breakfast- lunch- dinner- when I'm out at a Diner etc.

Cereal- can be your BFF or ... the Devil.  It's all about the whole grains and the sugar content- so read carefully.  Right now- i am on a Kashi kick.  Plain Special K is good too- or the berry one- but i am allergic to berries sooo- They have come out with some Kashi cereals that don't taste like your eating dry oats out of a horse feeding bag- cause those all-bran thingies are the worse- it's like eating twigs!  My fav right now-
Kashi- Heart to Heart Warm Cinnamon- 3 grams of sugar- so watch your portion- I believe it's 3/4's of a cup- and remember- Fat free milk!

Bread- is our friend- if it whole grain- multi grain- right now I am hooked on Arnold's Healthfull 10 grain bread- 80 calories a slice- big and hearty and full of protein. It also helps that it is on sale alot- 1.99- as opposed to most 10- 12-15 grain breads- 3.99- 4.39-  boooo.

Peanut Butter- Yes- peanut butter- in moderation of course- the serving size is 2 tablespoons- i try to use only one-one and a half.  spread on the above bread for anytime- morning or snack- throw in a half a banana and you're all set- oh yeah- you can have the banana with the cereal too.

Ommelettes- wow- i don't know how to spell that... Anyway they are truly great- one thing though- egg whites only.... ok now you're mad at me- "I'm not going to be separating eggs blah blah blah"- neither am I-
Better than eggs- egg white- real eggs not fake- in single serving cups- 3 for 2.99. Then the fun begins- you can put almost anything you want in it...  the No-No's- bacon- real, fake or otherwise-, Regular Cheese
(use fat free low sodium american or swiss or whatever you like and can find that is 98% fat free and low sodium).  oh- and one slice only...

Good things to put in your ommelettes-
Chopped Broccoli-Spinach-etc
Mushrooms- fresh, pre-washed pre-sliced- cook them first in a little water till they shrink a little. No canned
mushrooms- ever- Sodium Alert!
onions
peppers
If you want meat- chopped low salt lean ham is ok- just 2-3 ozs or- Morning side farms veggie sausage- 1 pattie- chop it up- 80 calories- sodium not so bad-.

Today I did the Veggie Sausage/Mushroom/Fat free american /egg white omellette oh and i saved the best for last- top it off with 2 tablespoons of Salsa- i use mild- use whatever you want- MMMMMMMMMM!
Had a slice of my ten grain bread and a small romaine salad on the side(fat free Italian Dressing- Wishbone)- YAY!

Here is what I ate and will be eating today- note the ounces and portion stuff- if you don't have a measuring cup and a food scale- buy them -NOW!!!

I serving Kashi heart to heart cinnamon/fat free milk- half a banana half an hour before..
 I worked out....
Came home- cleaned the kitchen then it was twelve- time for lunch-45 min-hour after the workout
The fabulous ommelette and salad
3 o'clock snack will be- 1 small orange- 1 tablespoon peanut butter 6 whole grain reduced fat Triscut crackers.
6pm dinner- 1 3-4 oz piece of grilled chicken (boneless/skinless)- whole grain brown rice with black beans, broccoli and salsa.- Follow the serving size on the rice bag/ box.  I use Sucess boiling bags- after I add everything i separate it into 3 portions-eat 1 pack the rest separately- i buy those disposable little plastic thingies. And I use Goya canned black beans- Low Sodium- the can has a light blue stripe on it-only 99 cents- YAY
9 o'clock snack- half a turkey sandwich- 1 slice 10 grain- 1 slice of turkey- NO MAYO- Spicy brown mustard- EVERYONE REPEAT AFTER ME- MAYO IS THE ........... DEVIL!!!!

Hope this was helpful- more to follow- now I'm off to grade freshmen essays- woo-who......
Peace!
Jeannie

1 comment:

  1. I believe that the food network should give you an hour slot. Good for you. Your making me hungry. Everything you make sounds delicious!
    Kudos my friend!

    ReplyDelete